Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Resettling

I've basically gotten unpacked and settled in to the new room and house I'll be living in this year. I've also learned to navigate the maze of alleys that lead to it (and am able to show taxi/xe om drivers where to go!). Working on memorizing all the street names around here. Figured out how to get a bus to work and how to walk there if I have 45 minutes to kill.

There're a few bonuses to living here.

1) There's a market literally right outside the door. When I open the door and step out, I have to be careful not to step on the longans being sold on my doorstep. Should make getting fresh produce convenient and convince me to practice my market Vietnamese more frequently.

2) There's a small park about a 10-minutes walk away where I can go running. In the morning it's filled with literally hundreds of Vietnamese doing morning exercises and you have to constantly dodge or squeeze between walkers/joggers on the path in order to actually run. But it's a place! Song Hong half marathon here I come!

3) I have awesome housemates. One's an American teacher who worked at the same university as me last year. The other is sweet Chilean woman. Both have lived in Vietnam for years, so in addition to being awesome, they're also great culture and language resources. However, I do feel like the baby of the house, being significantly younger and having been here for less time than either of them. :)

Here's a couple pictures of my room. Hopefully some neighborhood pics to come soon.



5 comments:

  1. Love the pictures on the walls!
    Miss you already!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woww, it looks so much different from the beginning. Good job, Sam!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Megan! Hope classroom prep is going well and that classes start out AWESOME! Thanks for the moving help, Hoa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that doesn't look that small! Unless you were very clever in your picture taking skills ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hehe. well I must be pretty clever, then. 'Cuz there's literally about 2.5-3 feet between my bed and my desk, and 3-3.5 feet between the end of my bed and the wardrobe/door. I think if I could've stood in it while taking the picture, it would've given better perspective. But I'm not complaining! It's a nice, cozy room - and still more space than I've had to myself most of my life! :)

    ReplyDelete