Sunday, October 9, 2011

Missing Fall


Central Park, Roseville MN

I was thinking the other day about how much I miss the Minnesota fall. And I realized this is the second autumn season I’ve missed in the past 3 years (thanks to Chile and Vietnam J).  I really do miss it. The colors of the flaming maples and yellow beeches. Stepping outside and filling your lungs with the nippy air that’s so fragrant and rich, but has just a bit of a pungent edge. Perfect sweater weather. Raking leaves and getting blisters on your hands (believe it or not, I really do enjoy that experience about once a year). Jogging down park paths, engulfed in a colorful canopy, and staring at leaves reflecting on both lakes and puddles. Hot apple cider. Autumn Spice lattes from Dunn Bros Coffee. I never feel like I can drink in enough of the beauty of Fall. I just don't have the senses with which to comprehend it all. It fills me with a sense of longing and sweetness. Part of that longing, I know, is for the season itself. Yet another part of it, I think, is also a bit of an ache for our true home and final destination. When beauty will become more palpable and our senses less dull.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. You make me want fall, and I didn't even miss it!!! Do you miss winter? ;)

    A

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe - well, I missed winter a lot during the Christmas season. So for about a month. But I'm not missing it at all now. ;D

    ReplyDelete